The technology is suitable for the treatment of:
- Organic/ biodegradable fraction of municipal solid waste
- Source-separated organic waste
- Garden waste
- Agricultural waste, commercial waste
- Biological sludge from municipal wastewater treatment plants
This is a method of anaerobic biological treatment, which through biogas production achieves not only the stabilization of waste but also energy recovery. The technology is based on the process of anaerobic digestion, under dry conditions in enclosed reactors (garage type). The system is modular, which allows expansion, and easily adjustable in the seasonal variation of waste quantities.
Each reactor has a heat exchange system, biogas collection system, leachate collection/ recirculation system as well as an automatic control system. Each reactor closes air tightly to create anaerobic conditions and to enable the safe management of the biogas produced during the process.
Through biological treatment reduction of the waste mass is achieved, as well as hygienization and destruction of pathogenic microorganisms. The biogas collected during the process is led to a CHP unit. Indicatively the treatment of 10.000 tn/y municipal solid waste produces about 2.800.000 kWh of electricity that can supply up to 550 homes annually.
WASTE TREATMENT PLANT OF ILIA, PELOPONNESE
The prefecture of Ilia produces approximately 80,000 tones annually, for the management of which a Mechanical and Biological treatment unit needs to be implemented. The biological treatment will be anaerobic digestion in bio-cells. The purpose of the unit is the mechanical sorting and recovering recyclable products, as well as the biodegradation of organic waste and the energy production.
|Waste stream||Municipal Solid Waste|
|Amount of Waste||80.000 tn / year|
|Final mass of landfilled waste in relation to the total incoming waste mass||40% or 32.000 tn / year|
|Percentage of diverted biodegradable waste in relation to the incoming biodegradable waste mass||65% or 24.440 tn / year|
|Electricity production||6.500 kWh/year|
|Production of recycled and secondary products||7.400 tn / year|
|Production of compost-like output||12.000 tn/year|
- Environmental management according to the National and European legislation
- Reduction of the waste mass and residues to be landfilled
- Robust construction, without complex mechanical parts and high maintenance requirements
- Easy expansion
- Flexibility in the seasonal variation of waste
- Production of electricity, thermal energy and compost