Type of Waste:
The technology is suitable for the treatment of:
- Organic/ biodegradable fraction of municipal solid waste
- Source-separated organic waste
- Garden waste
- Agricultural waste, commercial waste
- Biological sludge from municipal wastewater treatment
This is an aerobic biological treatment, performed in enclosed reactors (garage type). The system is modular, which allows expansion and easily adjustable in the seasonal variation of waste quantities.
The aeration of the waste mass is controlled through a pipe network, which is embedded in the floor of the reactors. The air, which passes through the waste mass is sent to a biofilter in order to be deodorized and purified before being released to the atmosphere. Each reactor has a waste steeping system, a leachate collection system as well as an automatic control system of the treatment.
Through biological treatment is achieved reduction in the mass of waste by 36%. The waste temperature maintains above 60°C, for a continuous period of time, which leads to the hygienization of the waste and to the destruction of pathogenic microorganisms. The result is the production of a stabilized and odorless material which can be used as fertilizer.
MESOGEOS has applied the tunnel composting technology in the prefecture of Kefallinia for the treatment of 25,000 tons of waste per year.
The project aims at the pretreatment and the stabilization of Kefalonia island waste before its final disposal as well as the recovery of a fraction for usage as landfill cover material.
|Waste stream||Municipal Solid Waste|
|Amount of Waste||25.000 tn / year|
|Final mass of landfilled waste in relation to the total incoming waste mass||60% or 15.100 tn / year|
|Percentage of diverted biodegradable waste in relation to the incoming biodegradable waste mass||60% or 4.200 tn / year|
|Treatment product||Landfill backfilling material, 3.900 tn / year|
- Environmental management according on the National and European legislation
- Reduction of the waste mass and residues to be landfilled
- Simplicity in design and system operation
- Robust construction, without complex mechanical parts and high maintenance requirements
- Easy expansion
- Flexibility in the seasonal variation of waste
- Production of a utilizable product